Have you ever wondered how to make some mouth-watering Parsi cuisine? Let’s learn it from one of the moms from Cooked by MOMS…Poornima Ganjawala
Dhansak Dal with Brown Rice:
1 ½ cup toor dal
1 cup of diced pumpkin
1 cup methi (fenugreek) leaves
2 tbsp tamarind concentrate
1/2 cup jaggery (goor)
2 tbsp coriander leaves with stalks
2 tbsp chopped mint
2 inch cinnamon stick
6 cardamom pods
2 tsp cumin seeds
10 black peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
8 dried red chilies
1tsp chopped ginger
10 cloves garlic
1 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves and stalks
3 tsp oil
500 g chicken pieces (with bone)
1 cup water
chopped coriander and mint to garnish
- Pressure cook washed toor dal. Let it cool a bit and then puree it with a hand blender.
- Prepare wet masala by roasting everything in a pan for 3-4 mins except fresh coriander
- Remove and grind in a mixer with the coriander leaves and some water to make a paste.
- Roast the dry masala spices separately and grind in a dry grinder.
- Heat oil and cook chicken – saute on high heat for around 10-12 minutes
After the chicken is browned and all the juices are sealed, add wet masala and cook 2-3 mins
Add water and cook on medium heat for 30-40 mins
Add the dal mixture and dry masala and cook another 30 mins on low heat, or until chicken is done.
Brown rice: 6 portions
2.5 cups rice
2.5 tbsps sugar or a small chunk of jaggery
2 sticks of cinnamon
3 -4 bay leaves
4 -5 pods of cardamom
2 tsp jeera
5 – 6 cloves
some oil for frying
salt to taste and water
- Grind all the spices together.
- Add oil to a frying pan and fry the sugar along with 1/4th cup rice.
- When the sugar carmelizes imparting a reddish brown color to the rice, add in the masala, remaining rice and at least 5 cups of water. Let the water boil and the rice cook.
- After about 15 – 20 mins, check to see if the rice is cooked. Drain out the water in a colander and serve hot with Dhansak dal.
Want to know more about Cooked by MOMS?
Cooked by Moms is a social enterprise that works on financially empowering and creating employment opportunities for mothers, homemakers and women entrepreneurs whose love, care and intangible contributions often go unnoticed and unrewarded in today’s times. The Cooked by Moms’ team consists of women from lesser-privileged backgrounds, and so, this gives them a fair chance at employment and empowerment – economically, emotionally and socially.
Know more about Cooked by moms by clicking here
And yes…don’t forget to check this out because moms are going to be serving this yummy thali in Mumbai tomorrow!
You won’t want to miss our mommies in action! Book your ticket now (link in bio) #Repost @bombayvintagecolaba with @get_repost ・・・ Nothing tastes better than maa ka khaana! 😍 Bombay Vintage in association with @cookedbymoms is organising an event on 21st July and will be serving warm and home cooked thalis! Tickets available on: http://www.instamojo.com/cookedbymoms #BombayVintage #Colaba #CookedByMoms #Thalis #ThingsToDoInMumbai #MumbaiEvents #July #Events #HomeCooked
Keep on cooking